Tuesday 23 February 2010

only underdogs and physcos in this world

-vernon god little

I was reading in the bath earlier (my lifelong devotion to bathtubs and how my time can be best spent in one is an ongoing affair) with my new read, and this simple phrase really jumped out at me. Thinking on it, I could quite easily seperate the people I know into these two categories.

There are the meek, too self-concious or self-pitying to raise above the fray and then there's the strong who can abuse the balls god gave them.

And both the meek and the ballsy are brought together in one delightful world - that of internet networking sites.

Oh I had you for a second there didn't I! You thought, oh my, Cassies coming over all philosophical. Well no fear readers, I wouldn't do that to you. Depth is something I think is best given out in small, teaspoon-sized portions that accustom you to the shock of a teenager thinking beyond sex and violence. Like when people learn to walk again, they start off with a few steps not lunge right into a bloody triathalon. Don't worry though, I will never let Uggs, Jugs & the Primark Patrol ever slip into that pit of teen angst that so many blogs I stumble across contain. If I want to be angsty i'll do it locked up tight in my bedroom with James Blunt blaring on the CD player, and my head buried under a mountain of pillows and snotty tissues - not on the wonderful world wide web.

Now now, we're straying from topic again. We must be more careful about this. I say 'we' because the idea of a nonexistant reader taking the blame eases my literary guilt. Topic - stay. Good girl, have a toy bone.

Facebook, how I would be lost without thee. Upon turning on any computer of techy enough phone I instantly tap in my email, password and scour the page for updates. Updates on who? Why the hundreds of friends I have added of course. Why no I don't know 75% of them very well, at least 5% i've only ever met once even - but what does it matter! On Facebook we are all joined together in a delicious mismatch of personal affairs, meaning that peeping over neighbour's fences are a thing of the past. Why spend precious hours sifting through garbage or lying low in stake-outs when you can simply look at So-and-Sos wall to see what they're up to? Genius, pure bloody genius. Okay maybe I didn't need to see the grimey pictures of what that-girl-who-likes-to-wear-nothing got up to at the weekend, or how adorable the ex and his new piece o' ass look like together but on the whole sites like this are a godsend. Checking up on old friends, sending out invitations for parties and keeping adrift of the local gossip can all be done in a snap and without moving from your chair.

So hats off to you Facebook, my love. Long shall you reign. And whilst in the Facebook mood I whipped up this baby, a symbol of my undying dislike of Keira Knightley:

Only joking guys!





As if i'd accept her friend request ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment